A molded and carved composite marble shield titled “The Milton Shield” originally by Morel Ladeuil decorated with scenes from Milton’s ‘Paradise Lost’. It features representations of the Archangel Raphael, Adam and Eve the ‘war in heaven’. The outer borders depict further scenes from Milton’s epic poem Paradise Lost.
The original Milton Shield, designed by Leonard Morel-Ladeuil (French 1820-1888) and made by Elkington & Co. (Birmingham, UK) in silver and iron, was made for the 1867 Paris exhibition and took three years to produce. It was awarded the gold medal for the artist and was bought by The Victoria and Albert Museum where it remains on exhibition.
Signed Morel-Ladeuil 1866 bottom left and Elkington & Co. bottom right.
Measures: 35 inches high x 24 inches wide