Spectacular Large Multi-Piece Silver-Plate Revolving Lazy Susan / Bain Marie Centrepiece with Ivory Handles and Wells for Hot Water circa 1920’sSilver Holloware
A marvellous English Sheffield silver-plated, lazy Susan, bain-marie server with 4 ivory handles and multi-piece servers that sit on a revolving pedestal base. The silver-plate work on the body and lid of each piece is very ornate with hand chased designs of flowers, leaves, garlands and scrolls. There are designs of berries and vines on the rims of each piece.
On the underside of each piece is the Sheffield lion maker’s mark and it reads “Made in England”. The mark represents “Sheffield reproduction” company circa 1920’s
The piece features several serving dishes where the serving containers sit in the central round tray and there is an opening under each piece that allows the well to be filled with hot water. The bottom of each server is immersed in the hot water so that you can keep the food heated if you wish. There is a drain spout under one side of the base.
The serving pieces consist of:
- 1 central soup tureen with a lid, removable handle, and a soup ladle. The tureen with lid measures 11 1/4 inches tall x 10 1/8 inches in diameter; the ladle is 12 1/2 inches in length.
- 4 covered entree dishes with lids and removable handles. Each dish is 9 1/4 inches in diameter and 5 inches tall from the handle to the base.
- 2 shakers. Each shaker is 2 1/4 inches wide x 5 inches tall.
- 2 covered sauce bowls with lids, removable handles, and ladles. Each bowl is 5 3/4 inches high x 5 1/4 inches in diameter. The ladles are each 5 inches long.
- 2 open condiment bowls (one with a cobalt blue glass liner). Each bowl is 3 1/2 inches wide x 2 inches tall.
The top surface of the pedestal measures 29 1/4 inches in diameter from handle to handle and the base is 14 inches in diameter.
This piece is magnificent to see and would really make a dining experience memorable.